Parking Lot Procedure
ON CAMPUS STUDENT PARKING
IUSD requires students applying for a parking permit to attend the "Smart Start" driving presentation hosted by the Irvine PD. There will be many dates and locations to choose from in order to fulfill this requirement (See flyer here). After "Smart Start", There will be an application to fill out with the link appearing here around July 24th.
OFF CAMPUS STUDENT PARKING
(For students who do not qualify for a parking permit)
Students without a University High School parking permit cannot park on campus. These students may park on Rockview Drive, north of Hillgate. This is the ONLY location where students can park off campus without violating city ordinances and risk being towed.
To arrive at this location from Campus Drive, turn onto Cobblestone Way (located between Turtle Rock Drive and University High School), then right on Rockview Drive. Follow Rockview Drive until you pass Hillgate. There is parking on the left side of Rockview Drive.
IF AN ACCIDENT OCCURS:
- Stay calm!
- Make sure the area/scene is safe.
- Make sure everyone involved is safe; check for injuries (call 911 or Irvine PD if needed)
- Exchange information (insurance; phone numbers; drivers license; if camera is available, take photos of vehicles involved). Make sure the area is safe BEFORE doing this.
*The district and campus security ARE NOT LIABLE for vehicle accidents.
If witnesses are available, get ALL information from them (name, phone number, a statement of what was seen).
WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE THE VICTIM OF A HIT AND RUN
- Notify campus security IMMEDIATELY.
- Take a photo of the accident scene (take photos of the damage).
IF YOU ARE A WITNESS OF A HIT & RUN
- Get the best description of the vehicle (color, make, model, license plate number) and driver (male or female).
- Notify campus security or Irvine Police Department immediately. (DO NOT TRY TO TAKE MATTERS INTO YOUR OWN HANDS)
- Write a statement of what occurred.
Student Release Procedure
PROCEDURES FOR EXCUSING AN EARLY DISMISSAL
Students may be excused for leaving campus during the school day ("Early Dismissal") [per the California Education Code] by properly following the procedure defined below:
1. Parents call the Attendance Office, or student brings a note to the Attendance Office prior to departure stating the time and reason for dismissal.
2. Student arrives to the Attendance Office at the time of the Early Dismissal and is signed out while getting an Early Dismissal pass.
3. If the student returns to school on the same day, the student must return the Early Dismissal Pass to the Attendance Office.
Likewise, students who become ill during the school day must report to the Health Office prior to leaving campus. The Attendance Office will issue an Early Dismissal Pass if the student needs to go home.
CONSEQUENCES FOR AN UNREPORTED ABSENCE OR EARLY DISMISSAL
In the event that an absence goes unreported, or excessive absences accrue, the following consequences will occur.
Homes of students who are reported absent from one or more classes receive a telephone call during the evening hours if the absence has not already been reported by a parent/guardian.
IUSD ABSENT LETTER
As a part of the Irvine Unified School District's effort to inform parents of accumulative student absences, once a student's absence reaches 5, 10, and 15 days, letters are sent home. This letter is informational, includes all unexcused absences and truants, and is an attempt to offer communication to parents.
If an absence is not reported within three school days it becomes a truant on their attendance record, and the student will be assigned a Saturday School.
SARB (STUDENT ATTENDANCE REVIEW BOARD)
At the point that a student's absences and/or tardies become excessive, an administrator may initial the SARB process.
ARRIVING LATE TO SCHOOL (TARDY)
A student late to any class, any period of the day is considered tardy. Students more than 30 minutes late to a class are considered truant that period and need to stop by the Attendance Office before entering that class. Each teacher has an individualized Tardy Policy.